by Melanie Crew
Hey all you dapper fellas and glitzy gals! Cupid got your tongue? “Be Mine”, vintage-style this year and celebrate all that is vintage and Valentine’s in Retro Atlanta! Get romantic, retro-style and see what we have in store for you during this week of love and saucy seduction!
1. Crooners and Red Hot Jazz. Swing on by The Earl Smith Strand Theatre for Douglas Cameron and his 17-piece Big Band’s Fly Me to the Moon concert at 8pm (Feb. 14)! Rat Pack Now croons on down to the Red Clay Theatre, doors at 6:30pm (Feb. 15)! Or jazz it up during the Emory Jazz Fest’s free Big Band Night at the Schwartz Center for Performing Arts, featuring the Gary Motley Trio at 8pm (Feb. 11). Croon away with our Kool Kat “Big Mike” Geier and his King-sized Trio at The Vista Room (Feb. 10)! Venkman’s dishes out a Valentine’s Day Dinner featuring classical jazz with Le Grand Fromage and a Prix fixe menu by Executive Chef Nick Melvin, $65/person, begins at 5:30pm (Feb. 14)!
2. Blackhearts Unite. It’s a night of murder ballads made popular by Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Nirvana and a whole lotta’ bloody maniacal mayhem at The Earl with their third annual Bloody Valentine’s event, featuring Kool Kat Aileen Loy with Till Someone Loses an Eye, W8ing4UFOs, a motley mix of musicians and performers and more bloody romantic fun (Feb. 10)!
3. Oh là là! Get sinfully seductive at 7 Stages during Kool Kat Katherine Lashe and the burly-Q gals of Syrens of the South’s 10th Annual Vixen’s Valentease Vaudeville & Variety Show (Feb. 11)! And if you just can’t get enough let Ms. Lashe and her burly-Q gals of Syrens of the South spice up your Valentine’s evening with their Tease Tuesday Burlesque: Hearts & Heartbreakers event, shakin’ it up at the Red Light Café (Feb. 14)! Or shimmy on down to the Shakespeare Tavern for Hearts A’Blaze Entertainment’s Vari-E-Tease! A Valentine’s Burlesque Show with Kool Kat Talloolah Love, Kool Kat Roula Roulette, Kool Kat Lola LeSoleil, Kool Kat Ursula Undress, DJ Doctor Q and more! (Feb. 11). Get a little naughty with a flock of flirty feathers this Valentine’s Day at Paris On Ponce’s 12th Annual Valentine’s Burlesque Show “Birds of Paradise” with two tantalizing shows each night, 7:30pm and 9:30pm (Feb. 11 & 12)! Or Strut your stuff and get kinky with Mary and Friends: Love is Love event at the Red Light Café (Feb. 10)!
5. Art, Comedy & Theatre, OH MY! The Highland Inn Ballroom & Lounge dishes out a Ballroom Blitz Artist Market, featuring 20 vintage and more vendors from 5-10pm (Feb. 12)! Get wickedly weird this season of love and lust and pick up some local art goodies at the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club’s Lovecrafts: Valentine’s Edition from 1-6pm (Feb. 12)! Dig up some swell goodies for your sinister sweetie and make your way to My Parents’ Basement for their February Bizarre Bazaar featuring 10 local artists and designers, from noon-5pm (Feb. 12)! The Center for Puppetry Arts presents their Valentine’s Night Out (18+) with puppet shenanigans, complimentary desserts, a free caricature of you and your love from 7-9:30pm, $20/person (Feb. 11)! Wax poetic at Center Stage for their Passion & Poetry Valentine’s event featuring spoken word and Broadway-esque performances at 7pm (Feb. 14)! Or be a pair of star-crossed lovers as the Shakespeare Tavern performs their special Valentine’s production of “Romeo & Juliet” at 7:30pm (Feb. 14)! For all our jaded lovers out there, you won’t want to miss Whole World Improv.’s Bitter, Lonely Valentine’s Puke Fest 2017 at 10:30pm (Feb. 11)! Laugh it up with Perfect Strangers Improv’s Perfect Strangers and Flying Giants event this Valentine’s Day at 8:30pm (Feb. 14)!
6. Medieval & Classic. And for all you knights in shining armor, get really retro and romantic with the royal one in your life and joust on down to Medieval Times for their Valentine’s Day Couples Package! $110 gets you 2 admissions, a photo, handcrafted chocolates, champagne in keepsake glasses, and more!
7. Groovin’ Up Slowly. Be a smooth operator and sail on down to Park Tavern in Piedmont Park for Yacht Rock Schooner’s evening of smooth and silly love songs! It’ll be an evening of smooth 70s and 80s love songs, so put on your dancin’ shoes and come aboard (Feb. 10); Doors at 7 pm! ATL Collective presents Sade’s “Love Deluxe” at Venkman’s; Doors at 8:30pm (Feb. 10)!
8. Lovin’ on the Silver Screen. ‘Here’s looking at you kid!’ Take a peek at love and romance Old Hollywood-style at The Strand Theater as they screen Michael Curtiz’s classic romantic drama, CASABLANCA (1942), starring Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman at 8pm. Live organ pops variety show and sing-along featuring The Strand’s Mighty Allen Theatre Organ at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $8 for adults and $7 for students, seniors, and military. Or if you’re lookin’ for a little late-night rendezvous with a few transsexual aliens, stick around and catch The Strand Theatre’s screening of Jim Sharman’s THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW (1975) at 11:55pm, for $10 (Feb. 11)! Celebrate the 60th Anniversary screening of Leo McCarey’s AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER (1957) at theatres across Atlanta (2pm/7pm) [Hollywood Stadium 24 (Chamblee); AMC Barrett Commons 24 (Kennesaw); Avalon Stadium 12 (Alpharetta); AMC Sugarloaf Mills 18 (Lawrenceville)]; Cinemark Tinseltown 17 (Fayetteville); Perimeter Pointe 10; Regal McDonough Stadium 16 (McDonough); and AMC Southlake Pavilion 24 (Morrow) (Feb. 12 & 15)!
9. Cupid’s Culinary Delights! Hula on over to Trader Vic’s and escape into the island atmosphere of love with their pre-fix Tropical Valentine’s Day Dinner, $60++ (Feb. 14). Grab your geeky guy or gal and make your way to Battle & Brew’s Valentine’s Day Dinner, featuring a Prix Fixe menu, $80/couple (Feb. 14)!
10. We Goth You Covered. For the darkly romantic, The Oakland Cemetery offers their Love Stories Tour, complete with tales of loves past led by a Victorian-era clad docent. Tours last an hour, just long enough to meet a kindred spirit or even a new love! Get spooked and “Scream in the Dark” with Netherworld’s candlelit evening of ghosts and goblins and monsters, oh my (Feb. 11)! Get loved to death while traversing the land of passionate souls longing for love. (Feb. 11 & 12)! Gussy it up gore-style at the Red Light Café’s Valloween Dance Party featuring The Atlanta Rock ‘n’ Roll All-stars (Feb. 11)!