by Melanie Crew
Ring in a vintage New Year with ATLRetro! Come celebrate what once was in 2016 and welcome with open arms what will be in 2017! Start the New Year off with a bang with all the hoppin’ shindigs we’ve dug up just for you!
1. Blues, Soul & Funk, Oh My! For some classic blues and jazz, shimmy on down to Blind Willie’s for their Bluesy New Year’s Eve with the powerhouse vocals of The Fabulous Francine Reed! Doors at 7pm and $50 gets you guaranteed seating, party favors and a champagne toast at midnight! Fire up the blues at the Northside Tavern with Mudcat’s Rockin’ Blues New Year’s Eve Party featuring Danny ‘Mudcat’ Dudeck, Eddie Tigner, Lola, Albert White, the Atlanta Horns and more! Doors at 9:30pm! Fat Matt’s Rib Shack dishes out the low-down dirty blues with Ross Pead & Friends this New Year’s Eve! Kool Kat Ruby Velle & The Soulphonics dish out a helluva night of rockin’ ‘50s and ‘60s Georgia soul at Venkman’s. Doors at 9pm! Get funky and ring in the New Year with a little old school funk ‘n’ soul at the Variety Playhouse with The Motet and the Roosevelt Collier Trio – “Jimi Meets Funk”, funkin’ it up at 10pm! And blues on down to Darwin’s Burgers & Blues for their New Year’s Eve Blues Bash with Little G Weevil! $10 gets you a champagne toast at midnight! Doors at 9:30pm!
2. Hey! Ho! Let’s Go! Get rebellious and rock into the New Year with some old school punk, revved up rockabilly and plain ol’ retro-inspired rock-n-roll! Get mischievous at The Star Bar’s NYE Bash featuring The All Night Drug Prowling Wolves, Clashinista, The Midnight Larks and the Black Cat Rising! Doors at 8pm and free champagne at midnight! Get grungy and rock out ‘90s-style at The Earl with Royal Thunder and Beitthemeans at 9:30pm! Rev on down to McDonough’s Geranium Drop on the Square for a helluva night with Kool Kat Hot Rod Walt and the Psycho-DeVilles and more! Get rocked swamp-style with JJ Grey & Mofro and the Radio Birds at the Buckhead Theatre!
3. Folk Rockin’ Roots ‘n’ Foot-Stompin Bluegrass! Rock into 2017 with the Grammy Award-winning The Indigo Girls at City Winery! Ponder 2016 by getting to the root of it all! Ponder 2014 by getting to the root of it all! For a New Year’s Eve filled with foot stompin’ Americana, blues and rock ‘n’ roll, make your way to Eddie’s Attic for two hoppin’ helpings of the sultry Michelle Malone and her New Year’s Eve show! First show at 7pm! Second show includes special guest Hannah Thomas and starts at 9:45pm! Stomp on down to the Crimson Moon Café for a ruckus of a New Year’s Eve with Bluebilly Grit! Make your way to The Vista Room’s NYE Bash featuring Ed Roland (Collective Soul) & The Sweet Tea Project! Doors 9pm/$25!
5. Life’s a Beach! Hula your way into 2017 at Trader Vic’s New Years Eve in Paradise featuring the swanky Bogey & The Viceroy dishing out some soulful island tunes with a midnight champagne toast! Doors at 9pm!
6. Jammin’ Psychedelia! Groove on down to 529 for a night of psychedelic soul ‘n’ gritty garage rock with Gringo Star (Kool Kats Nick and Peter Furgiuele), Chief Scout and the Shepherds! Get groovy with The Disco Biscuits at the Tabernacle at 7pm! And then jam it up at Aisle 5 with the Official Disco Biscuits NYE After Party featuring CIA and Space Kadet! Rock out and get down with Perpetual Groove at Terminal West! Runaway Gin rocks into the New Year paying tribute to Phish at Smith’s Olde Bar! Doors at 9pm/champagne toast at midnight! Rock out Allman Brothers-style with Tribute at the The Earl Smith Strand Theatre!
7. The Cure for Bananarama. Eighties it up with Kool Kat Becky Cormier Finch with Denim Arcade at Wild Wing Café in Suwannee! Doors at 9:30pm! Let’s Dance! at Mary’s in East Atlanta on Friday, Dec. 30th during their It’s Not NYE Party, featuring a Midnight Mass featuring a special tribute to George Michael, Prince and Bowie! Doors at 9pm!
8. Roarin’ Twenties! Celebrate the New Year in style! Grab your favorite guy or gal, get dressed to the nines and shimmy on down to the Red Light Café for their Gilded Age Gala, featuring live tunes by Suzy & The Peels, a Burly-Q feast with The Candybox Revue’s Kool Kat Talloolah Love, Sin Tillating, Annette Coquette, and music by MC/DJ Doctor Q! Doors at 7pm/$40!
9. Retro Geek-A-Rama! Geek it up at the 2nd Annual New Year’s Eve Cosplayers Ball & Costume Contest at My Parents’ Basement featuring prizes, cash, house cash, toys, comics, and more! Get ruptured at Battle and Brew’s Rapture Masquerade New Year’s Eve Party! Doors at 8pm and $10 gets you entry and a champagne toast at midnight!
10. Puttin’ on the Ritz and All That Jazz (And More)! Get twisted into 2017 with a Double Decker NYE Party at The Basement! Shake a tail feather upstairs with a D.A.N.C.E. ‘90s/’00s Dance Party, and get down with Electric Westerns’ Keep on Movin! New Year’s Rock and Soul Dance Party! downstairs featuring a night chock full of ‘60s rock-n-roll, soul, doo-wop and more! Be a VIP for NYE at the Red Phone Booth featuring a crooning good time with Mark Phillips and Magician Joe Turner! Or boogie on down to the Euclid Avenue Yacht Club’s Suck It 2016 NYE Dance Party, featuring DJs, party favors and a free champagne toast at midnight!